Wicklow Town restaurant closed over chicken contamination fear
An Asian restaurant in Wicklow Town was closed last month by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) under food safety legislation.
Tikka Asian Street Food, Schooner House, South Quay, was served with the closure order on November 19 due to what the report says was contamination due to “raw chicken and raw chicken juices.”
Tikka Asian Street Food has since reopened and is trading as normal.
The report went on to say “the above conditions lead to a serious risk of food being contaminated with pathogenic bacteria likely to render the food unfit for human consumption, injurious to health or contaminated in suet, a way that it would be unreasonable to expect it to be consumed in that state.”
During November, the FSAI reported that 21 Closure Orders and two Prohibition Orders were served on food businesses for breaches of food safety legislation.
The orders were issued by environmental health officers in the HSE and veterinary inspectors in the local authorities.
This is the highest number of Enforcement Orders in one month since the legislation was introduced in 1998.
“Twenty-three Enforcement Orders over a one-month period is totally unacceptable,” Dr Pamela Byrne, Chief Executive, FSAI said.