COVID-19: 469 cases now confirmed in Wicklow, warning as more people flout public health rules
There are now 469 cases of coronavirus in Wicklow, according to latest statistics provided by the Department of Health.
The breakdown of the latest confirmed cases comer as the country’s top doctor warned that the easing of lockdown measures in less than a fortnight’s time has been placed at risk as more and more people flout public health rules designed to limit their movements.
And Chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan warned that if today was May 5, there would be no changes in the restrictions.
Dr Holohan revealed evidence showing increased traffic, and more people out and about, which he said could jeopardise plans to relax some of the emergency measures.
“We are seeing a bit of slippage in things like traffic, movement and walking,” Dr Holohan said.
He referred to reports from the Irish National Seismic Network show a rise in vehicle traffic in recent days and separate statistics that indicate people are moving about more since Easter weekend.
So far a total of 794 people across the country have died after contracting Covid-19.