COVID-19 HEROES: ‘You are not alone’ – Wicklow gardai and volunteers out in force to help vulnerable
Gardai and volunteers are out of force throughout the county today on Covid-19 patrols and to help the vulnerable in our society.
A local Garda spokesperson urged people to stay at home unless really necessary, and urged anyone who needs help to contact their local station, adding: “You are not alone.”
They added: “Gardaí throughout the county were on duty today performing checkpoints, engaging with the vulnerable and anti-crime policing in support of the Government’s health measures to combat Covid 19. Please please stay at home if you can. If you are need any help, contact us. We have access to vast volunteer resources as well as our own community engagement vehicles.”
Some big-hearted members of the public were quick to show their appreciation for our boys and girls in blue on the frontline.
Combating Covids-19 can be hungry work so Derek Dunne Butchers dropped in breakfast rolls to grateful officers at Wicklow Garda Station this morning.
They took to social media to acknowledge the act of kindness, saying: “A big Thank You to Siobhan from the Wicklow Way Project and Derek Dunne Butchers for dropping in breakfast rolls to Wicklow Garda Station this morning. We have some very happy (and full) Gardaí.”
Meanwhile, several local beauty spots have now been closed to visitors in a bid to stem the spread of the virus as the death toll rises.
All of the latest 14 deaths reported yesterday were in the east of the country.
The National Public Health Emergency Team said the average age of the reported deaths was 81.
There have now been 36 Covid-19 related deaths in the Republic.
The 16 categories deemed to be “essential workers” under the new restrictions, are categorised as follows:
- Agriculture and Fishing
- Repair and installation of machinery and equipment
- Electricity, gas and water
- Wholesale and retail trade
- Transport storage and communication
- Accommodation and food services
- Information and communications
- Financial and legal activities
- Professional, scientific and technical activities
- Rental and leasing activities
- Administrative and support services
- Public administration and defence
- Human health and social work activities
- Community/voluntary services.