August 5, 2020
News

COVID-19 LATEST: Deaths drop to 19 as 330 new cases confirmed, Minister says State supports will continue

A further 19 people have died after contracting the coronavirus as 330 new cases were confirmed this evening.

It brings to 1,303 the number of people who have died so far as a result of the virus. There are now 21,506 cases of Covid-19 in the country, according to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre.

Earlier, Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe said that State interventions the Government announced in response to the pandemic can be maintained, saying: “We can afford them.”

Speaking on RTÉ’s This Week programme, Mr Donohoe said these commitments are aimed at restoring the economy.

Mr Donohoe did not clarify how long the Covid-19 pandemic unemployment payment would remain in place.

He said he will be having talks with the Taoiseach over the next few weeks and that they will be “having to make decisions about getting the balance right.”

He said they have to take into account that there would have been many people unemployed before Covid-19 hit, receiving jobseeker allowance and other forms of social welfare and income support.

“What we need to ensure is that as we emerge from this disease, we don’t end up with one group who are receiving a set of payments that they got before this disease hit, another group who are receiving the unemployment payment, and a third group who might become unemployed at some point in the future even if this disease has changed,” he said.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *